Thursday, November 27, 2014

There's writing and then there's writing

There are days when all you can do is think about writing and then there are days all you can do is actually write. My mind refused to turn off the book yesterday and my hand went merrily along for the ride. I did end up having to ice my wrist mid-way through and take a 3 hour break, but that didn't stop me. I wrote another 2 pages (one side of a hand written page = 1 page) before I finally managed to get myself to bed.

I am super excited by that. What does it sound like? I have no clue. I haven't even taken the time yet to go back and read it and probably won't until that chapter is finished and ready to be typed into the computer. I don't want to let out my internal editor quite yet. I don't want to face those nasty words that come flowing out. Things like, "Well, this wording stinks." "What the heck were you thinking here?!" "This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever." Then the pen starts flying and hacking and slashing at all the beautiful words and killing them. When the editor comes out to play, the creator runs to hide.

That is what NaNo taught me in 2009. Lock up that internal editor until later. For now, let your creative side out to play and let it have fun! Enjoy the process of getting the words out on the paper and go with it. I'm not playing by strict NaNo 'rules' this year. My editor does come out sometimes and whispers, "That's not the right word, wouldn't this one be better?" Usually my creative side will snag it, yell "Thanks" over its shoulder and keep dashing along. In my opinion, this is what the writing process should be.

I do wish it was always that easy. The thoughts would just flow and not stop, my hand struggling to stay caught up as it dashes along. One beautiful word after another written across the page. Unfortunately, I know it's not. There will be days where my mind will sit in the corner and pout. Days where it will be agonizing to write even a single word.

I will learn. I will be disciplined. Yesterday was an amazing gift of pure creativity. I will embrace that gift and run with it. Even when the words don't want to come, those first 12 pages will serve as a reminder that it comes and goes. Power through the day they don't want to come because tomorrow is another day and the words might write themselves.

Today, it's Thanksgiving here in the U.S. I'm already planning some writing time along with making a traditional meal for my family. I'm fairly certain it can be done. :-)

(And if nothing here made sense, I apologize. I had two boys running through the house the entire time I was writing this. Talk about making life difficult!)

No comments:

Post a Comment